- Smitten™ brand apples (Cultivar PremA17) originated from a cross of (Falstaff x Fiesta) and (Braeburn x Gala).
- Trials and tests of Cultivar PremA17, now known as Smitten™ brand apples, were conducted in New Zealand.
- Seven test trees of PremA17 were planted in a Quincy orchard courtesy of Brandts Nursery and AIGN.
- PremA17 receives the name Smitten™ when the New Zealand marketing rights were assigned to Seventeen Limited, a partnership of six New Zealand companies.
- Pegasus Premier Fruit enters a license agreement with Prevar Limited, the proprietor of Smitten™ brand apples based in New Zealand.
- Steensma and Crane make their first commercial planting of 50,000 Smitten™ brand trees.
- Steensma and Crane plant another 150,000 Smitten™ brand trees in the spring.
- Three Washington state companies make a commitment to grow and pack Smitten™ brand apples.
- Columbia Fruit Company, Wenatchee
- Valicoff Fruit Company, Yakima
- Piepel Premium Fruit Packaging, East Wenatchee
- Additionally, independent Washington growers planted acreage:
- Josh Koempel
- Craig Campbell
- Pete Tagarres
- Andrew Sundquist
- Dave Taber
- John Sylester
- Andy Feil
- Since 2014, four vertically-integrated North American groups outside of Washington state have committed to substantial acreage over the next 4 years:
- Michigan: Belle Harvest Sales, Belden Storage
- New York: New York Apple Sales, Lake Ontario Packers
- Ontario: Algoma Orchards, Inc.
- Quebec: Paul Jodoin Vergers